Adopt-A-Family anonymously matches Donors to over 1,800 Woonsocket children, in Families struggling financially, to provide gifts of clothing and toys, during the Christmas season.
How It Works:
- Parents, of Low Income Households, apply to our program, and fill out a Wish List for each child
- Individuals, or Groups, sign up to become Donors, indicating the number of Children they would like to “adopt”, for the Season
- Adopt-A-Family matches Donors with Recipients
- Donors shop for each Child, buying 3-4 clothing items, 2-3 toys (Budget is est. $175/child)
- In mid-December, Donors drop wrapped gifts to our Distribution Center, which, in turn, are picked up by Recipient Families
In mid-December, the Donors deliver the gifts to the Elks Lodge, in Woonsocket, during what is referred to as “Distribution Week.” Here, Adopt-a-Family Volunteers receive the gifts, and distribute them to the Families, in time for Christmas. This ensures neither the Donor, nor adopted Family, knows the other’s identity.
If you are interested in becoming a Donor, and/or Volunteering your time, during Distribution week, click on that Tab, to learn more.